New Mexico  Credentialing Board for Behavioral Health Professionals, Inc. 



Reciprocity is the process of transferring an IC&RC credential from one IC&RC member board to another.  In order to qualify for reciprocity, you must be fully-certified with the IC&RC as a CADC (Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor), CS (Certified Clinical Supervisor), PS (Certified Prevention Specialist).  Some professionals may choose to maintain their credentials in multiple regions (for example, New Mexico and Texas) and in order to do so you would be required to meet the ongoing re-certification standards with both boards. 

In order to apply for reciprocity, you would first determine if the board you are interested in transferring to offers the IC&RC credential that you hold with the NMCBBHP and IC&RC.

For a list of IC&RC Member Board, please visit the IC&RC website at

Reciprocity is typically a simple process with a couple of basic steps

  1. Contact the board where you are currently certified to request a IC&RC Application for Reciprocity.

  2. Complete the one-page application and return it to your current board with the appropriate fee listed on form.

  3. Your application will be verified and sent to IC&RC Home office currently located in Harrisburg, PA. Your application will be reviewed by IC&RC staff and if you are eligible, your application will be sent to new board.

  4. You will then be contacted by the new board when the process is completed.  In some instances, the new board may require additional steps to become certified in the new region so it is important to determine that in advance The NMCBBHP does not have information about what other boards may require once you attempt to reciprocate to their region.  Please contact the board directly to inquire about additional requirements.

In order to request a reciprocity application, please email the NMCBBHP ​board for assistance at  The IC&RC does not allow member board to post the reciprocity application online. 


If you are currently certified with the NMCBBHP and are interested in applying for reciprocity out of New Mexico to a new IC&RC member board you would begin by contacting the NMCBBHP board to request an IC&RC reciprocity application.  After you complete the reciprocity application, you would submit the application with the reciprocity fee (a bank check/money order made payable to the IC&RC in the amount of $100 - $90 if reciprocity from/to the USAF/USN) to the NMCBBHP board for processing. Once the NMCBBHP determines you have completed the application process, your application is forwarded to the IC&RC for processing, After reviewing your application and determining your eligibility for reciprocity, the IC&RC staff will forward your application to the IC&RC member board you are applying to for final processing.  The new board will contact you directly once you have completed the process.  This process typically take several weeks.  The NMCBBHP will not process reciprocity applications from individuals who are the subject of an active ethics investigation.  Any ethics case must be resolved, with the certified professional still deemed eligible for certification, for the application to be processed.


If you are currently certified by an IC&RC member board in one or more of the qualifying IC&RC credentials CADC (Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor), CS (Certified Clinical Supervisor), PS (Certified Prevention Specialist).and are interested in applying for reciprocity into NMCBBHP, you would be gin by contacting your current IC&RC member board to request an IC&RC reciprocity application.  The NMCBBHP is not able to assist you with the process until we receive your reciprocity application from the IC&RC.  Once a completed IC&RC reciprocity application is received the NMCBBHP will issue you a NMCBBHP credential for no more than two years from your current expiration date.  Once you arrive in New Mexico, you will be required to complete a simple application to complete the process and it is your responsibility to determine the renewal standards for the credentials you are transferring.  For information about the renewal standards, please review the current renewal application. on our website.  NMCBBHP renewals occurs every two years and you must document ongoing professional development, pay any renewal fee due and complete the renewal application prior to your renewal date.  If you choose to maintain your IC&RC credentials in another region, it is your responsibility to determine the renewal standards with that board.  The NMCBBHP does not have information about the renewal standards for other IC&RC member board.